Welcome

This website has been created as part of Louisiana State University at Alexandria's response to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) requirements for reaffirmation of accreditation. There are two major components to the reaffirmation process. The Compliance Certification component represents LSUA's judgement as to its compliance with the SACS Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement. LSUA submitted its Compliance Certification on March 15, 2004. The Quality Enhancement Plan component provides LSUA the opportunity to focus on an issue related to enhancement of student learning. LSUA's Quality Enhancement Plan is under development and will be completed by August 1, 2004.

History of Louisiana State University at Alexandria

Louisiana State University at Alexandria is located six miles south of Alexandria in a predominantly-rural area of central Louisiana. The Louisiana Legislature authorized the establishment of LSUA in 1959 as a two-year commuter college under the governance of the Louisiana State University Board of Supervisors. The institution enrolled its first students in 1960. The first degree program offered was the Associate of Nursing in 1964. It was the only degree program at LSUA until 1986, when the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science transfer degrees were approved. Over the next 15 years, several more associate degrees were developed. LSUA continues to offer seven associate degrees: Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science, Associate of Science in Radiologic Technology, Associate in Criminal Justice, Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology, and Associate of Arts in Early Childhood Education, as well as a certificate in Pharmacy Technology.

On June 5, 2001, following approval by both the LSU Board of Supervisors and the Louisiana Board of Regents, the Louisiana Legislature passed legislation allowing LSUA to offer baccalaureate degrees. In December 2002, SACS approved a substantive change request allowing LSUA to offer four-year degrees beginning with the Fall 2003 semester. Effective Fall 2003, the university reorganized from academic divisions to two colleges (Arts & Sciences and Professional Studies) with four departments each.

LSUA began offering four bachelor's degrees in Fall 2003 - the Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Bachelor of Liberal Studies, and Bachelor of General Studies. Additional bachelor's degrees are under development.

Characteristics of Louisiana State University at Alexandria

Louisiana State University at Alexandria is an open admission institution that enrolls almost 3,100 students. In Fall 2003, nearly 75% of the student body was female, and there were slightly more part-time students (51%) than full-time students (49%). The average ACT composite score for entering freshmen was 18.7. Roughly 57% of the student body was less than 25 years old, with the remaining 43% being 25 years old or older. Slightly over 76% of the students were white, with almost 19% being African-American and the remaining 5% other races or students who did not indicate their race. At present, LSUA is a commuter institution and all students reside in surrounding parishes. However, LSUA anticipates completion of on-campus housing facilities in 2005.